What videos should I make?

Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Battering Ram of Improvement

(I'm on the far right in the back wearing maroon and white)
Once again the battering ram of improvement has entered my life. It was last Saturday. The first meet of the season and I had strategically positioned myself at the back of the race. From the beginning I started to move up. Half a lap in I ducked in behind fellow teammate and coach, Austin P, but quickly realized he was losing ground on the leaders. He had lost probably 40 meters; I had to go. I caught a couple of strays as I ran each lap quicker and quicker. I never count my laps, I just ran. I could see the leaders up ahead. Two laps to go and I was in fourth place and close on the heals of second and third. With a lap to go I flew by them and into second place heading for home. The lone leader had sixty meters on us, but I wasn't thinking about him, I was just running.We came within fifteen meters of catching him and my lone challenger couldn't lick me in the final lap, much less the final forty. To his credit who can; I brought back my sprint. I had a huge seasons best, 5:30 something for the mile. I got second and our team won the meet with a commanding presence, winning every race except mine. (but of course mine wasn't so bad either)

I did well on Saturday but can I keep it up? Only time will tell of course, but with the dreaded 2 mile this weekend it may be a couple of weeks before we will see how the other milers will manage to improve. The main goal of course is not to win races, as cool as that is but rather it is to run faster. Beating my opponents I do for my team, beating my times I do for myself.

Monday was the first day I took the new Lunarglides out for a run on the road. With my run to practice and back and the workout included I ran about 8 miles that day. I wore the completely wrong socks and ended up with the most awful (or amazing) blisters I have ever seen. I know it was the socks because I switched the next day, and despite still having the blisters, felt much better. The scenery was as incredible as the weather was harsh. Potato fields stretching on for hundreds of miles in all directions covered in perfectly undisturbed snow, as I hinted to before the weather was not so beautiful. The wind blanketed us with astounding force, taking a temp of 20 degrees F down to some unholy measurement. It was cold. We went out for 25 minutes with a goal of getting back in less time. We met our goal, running 25 minutes out and 22 minutes back. After practice we ran to Austin P's to get my juice mix. At 7.8 miles we had averaged 7.23 per mile. Not bad. I ran home from there ensuring my 8 miles for the day.

Today found us back on the indoor track, doing speed work. Mile race pace for two laps with dip exercises in between. I did six sets. It was tiring but I felt good, it hurt but my body kept doing what I told it to. I feel like I am riding the edge these days, running much more than I have been for awhile. I make a point to get adequate sleep and enough food and for now I seem to be holding up. Celisse ran four laps today while I held the baby, it's the first time she has gotten to run in awhile. She comes to my cycling classes but with Alcie only being six weeks and all, she is lucky if she makes it through the hour. She was pleased with her four laps however and while doing laundry decided she had earned a bite of candy from the vending machine. Hot Tamales are known for not coming out in adequate quantities from quarter machines, but Celisse decided to take her chances. She got two tamales. I find this hilarious, but rewards are essential when pursuing athletic goals. Whether it's losing weight or running faster goals need to be backed up by a bit of incentive. Just don't do something that will keep you from actually accomplishing your goal.

Thanks for reading and keep on the look out for a big announcements in the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment